The Scottville Fire Department successfully put out a vehicle fire that occurred about 3 p.m. Friday.
A 2007 Dodge Caliber caught on fire in close proximity to a home at 2807 W. Conrad Road in Amber Township while the driver of the vehicle and the renter of the home were working together to get the car out from a rut in the snow.
“We were going to head to Whitehall and the car was stuck. He was in the driver’s seat and I was trying to push him out,” said Mike Mcelroy, who is a renter of the home. “We saw smoke coming (from the car) and I thought it was just overheating, so I told him to pop the hood. As soon as I reached underneath (the hood of the car) to find where the handle was to pop it, I saw flames.”
The fire was fully involved and only about 20 feet from the house.
The vehicle was a total loss. Nobody was injured in the incident.
The Scottville Fire Department and Mason County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.