GRAND RAPIDS — As a result of significantly increasing numbers of patients admitted with COVID-19 and the increase in community positivity rate, Spectrum Health is revising its visitor policies.
The revision aims to reduce the number of people in its hospitals and outpatient care sites, including Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial and Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital.
Effective Wednesday, adult patients are allowed one adult family member or guest per patient. This must be the same person for the patient’s entire hospital stay. The following exceptions will apply:
• Labor and delivery obstetrics patients are allowed two adult visitors. These must be the same two people for the patient’s entire hospital stay.
• Patients with COVID-19 are not allowed in-person visitors, however the care team will work with patients and families to coordinate virtual visits.
• Emergency department patients are limited to one adult guest per patient.
• Adult radiology and laboratory patients at the hospital or outpatient care sites are not allowed guests except for those patients here for an obstetric ultrasound or those who need assistance with activities of daily living or have cognitive impairments. These individuals will be allowed one adult guest.
• Adult patients at Spectrum Health physician offices and surgery centers are allowed one adult family member or guest for surgical sedated procedures, but no visitors unless the patient needs physical or cognitive support. Patients may contact office staff for extenuating circumstances.
• Pediatric patients under the age of 21 are allowed two adult family members (parent or guardian or their designee only) per patient stay.
• For pediatric outpatient services, physician offices and surgery, pediatric patients are allowed one family member or guests per patient visit.
• Pediatric radiology patients are allowed one adult family member per patient.
• Pediatric hematology and oncology clinic and infusion center patients are allowed one adult family member per patient.
In addition, in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus, all visitors will be screened and are required to wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose to enter the hospitals and outpatient facilities. Spectrum Health dining rooms continue to be closed to visitors. Hospital food service will be available in the cafeteria through to-go orders.
More information about visitor restrictions can be found at https://www.spectrumhealth.org/covid19/family-and-visitor-restrictions. Spectrum Health’s COVID-19 resource center can be found at https://www.spectrumhealth.org/covid19.