Two boaters were rescued Sunday morning by passer-bys after the boat navagating began to take on water.

According to the Oceana County Sheriff’s Office press release, at approximately 11:41 a.m. Charles Mears State Park Rangers notified Mason-Oceana 9-1-1 of a boat sinking at the mouth of the Pentwater Channel with two occupants on

board. Mason-Oceana 9-1-1 dispatched marine patrol and other resources to the scene.

A 55-year old Hesperia man and a(54-year old Sterling Heights woman were on board an 18-foot bass boat when the incident occurred about one-mile north of the pier heads of the Pentwater channel. The boat occupants discovered water in the boat. After checking into it they went into shore to check that the drain plug was in place, which it was, and began to bail water out of the boat. After baling the water out of the boat and heading back to port, the main engine would not start. The boaters used their trolling motor to get back to the mouth of the channel when waves continued to come over the stern of the boat.

The release further indicates, that while on their way back into port after a morning of fishing, charter boat “Sportsman”, Captained by Trevor Castonia and First Make Cy Salt, saw the 18-foot bass boat was in distress, taking on water. Castonia told Deputy Tim Simon that he and his First Mate instructed the boaters to put on their life jackets. When the “Sportsman” pulled up on scene the boat was already sinking and people were in the water. The “Sportsman” crew threw life rings to both boaters and pulled them on to their boat to safety.

The “Sportsman” crew transported the boaters to the Pentwater Village Marina where they were met by the sheriff’s office marine division. Both boaters refused medical treatment.

Simon reported that without the assistance and quick thinking on the part of the “Sportsman” crew they may have been performing a different kind of rescue. Simon said Castonia and Salt did a great job and was grateful that they were in the right place at the right time. Simon also said there were no other boats in the area at that time to be able to render aid. Simon said U.S. Coast Guard – Station Ludington crew responded and tied the boat off so it could be salvaged at a later time. Boat Tow US came on

Monday to salvage the boat and remove it from the shoreline.