• Updated

Built in 1880 in Manitowoc, Wisc., by Rand & Burger for the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad, the ship was designed to handle freight packages from their western terminal in Ludington to Milwaukee and other Wisconsin ports. Thus she was given the name City of Ludington. She was classi…

  • Updated

Do you know a child or teen who needs a fun new T-shirt for school? The library has a collection of shirts from various summer reading programs, and we are giving them away free to students who could use them. Stop by the library to select a shirt while supplies last. There are several color…

  • Updated

For some 31 years, the Ark could be seen rolling with the waves while being anchored in White Lake at the end of Scenic Drive.

  • Updated

The two-mast, 90-foot vessel, classified as a Scow Schooner, was built in Milwaukee in 1874, by Wolf and Davidson, and originally christened the Ulster. Later, in 1881, she was rebuilt and renamed the Helen. Her flat-bottomed hull and retractable center board made her an ideal sailing vessel…

  • Updated

The first Mouth School was originally a log cabin with a dirt floor, built in 1849, and located on the northside of Old Channel Trail near the Lau Road intersection. It caught fire and burned. Pat Powers is listed as the first teacher. A second Mouth School was built on the bluff overlooking…

  • Updated

Other schools within the Montague School area included: Gee which was on the corner of Lamos and Meinert Park roads; Sumner which was originally built in 1866; Pine Grove, Flower Creek which was located on the Randall Fordham farm with Don Tower as the first teacher; Green which was dedicate…

  • Updated

Fruitland District No. 6 – This clapboard school with its octagonal belfry was erected in 1883. The school was built by Thomas Keilor on land donated by John McNeil. Students attended class here from 1883 until May 1948 when Fruitland Township School District consolidated with Whitehall. In …